Sports Injuries and How to Recover from them
According to Statistics Canada, in 2009-2010, an estimated 4.27 million Canadians ages 12 or older suffered an injury that interfered with their usual activities. And 2 out of 3 or 66% of injuries among adolescents were sports-related. Meanwhile, sports and work were linked to almost half or 47% of injuries among adults ages 20-64.
Engaging in sports comes with health and psychological benefits. There are instances when sports injury occurs, but thankfully, this can be treated. Participating in a sports injury rehabilitation program with the guidance of a physiotherapist is one way you can recover from sports injuries.
Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Management
Physiotherapists are experts in sports injury management. Sports injuries are multi-faceted. Hence, physiotherapists have an extensive understanding of the particular demands of any given sports activity. This is crucial to ensure accurate diagnosis of your sports injury, and ultimately an appropriate treatment plan.
During your first appointment with your physiotherapist, you will be asked about the specific activity that caused your injury. Your medical history will also be discussed and the injured body part will be evaluated too. Your physiotherapist will recommend a comprehensive treatment plan based on the results of your initial examination.
Every treatment plan is unique in that it is based on the patient’s specific needs and goals. And as the patient, your physiotherapist will also consult you as to the type of treatments you’re willing to push through with. Every phase of your treatment is properly documented to monitor your progress and so adjustments can be made when necessary.
Getting Back in the Game with Sports Injury Rehabilitation Program
During a sports injury rehabilitation program, physiotherapists help you treat pain and recover from your injury so you can get back to the game(s) you love. Apart from the treatment itself, carefully-chosen exercises are also incorporated in your program.
Here’s what you can expect from your sports injury rehabilitation program.
- The inclusion of targeted exercises to restore function of the affected area.
- Personalized exercise routine to allow you greater mobility.
- Relieve pain and discomfort from the injury site so you can perform at your best again.
- Educate you to help you avoid similar sports-related injuries.
Common Sports Injuries and their Physiotherapy Treatments
- Strains can be painful but the pain should be temporary and last for only a short period. In a case where the strain limits your muscle movements, your physiotherapist can use soft tissue massage the affected area along with stretching. They can also recommend specific exercises to facilitate muscle movement and blood flow.
- For fractures, the affected area should be allowed to heal first. Physiotherapy treatments can help restore nerve activity, build up flexibility, and strengthen muscles. The duration of the treatment period can vary depending on the extent of the break or fracture.
- Muscular pain. Sore muscles can be treated with the help of several different soft tissue treatments. This will help reduce stiffness and tension in the muscles. Getting treated by a physiotherapist can help you reduce tendencies of incurring similar injuries in the future.
- Muscle tears. The healing process for muscle tears can take a long time. Part of the physiotherapy treatment used for these situations is gradual exercise. This will help you manage pain and also improve strength and flexibility of the affected area.
- Lower back pain. This sports injury is common among athletes. Factors that can trigger back injuries include improper posture when shifting positions or lifting heavy weights. A physiotherapist can devise an exercise program for you so you can recover from your back pain and avoid further issues from developing.
- Ankle sprain. Turning or rolling over on your ankle can result in a sprained ankle. Applying ice packs on the area and taking rest can help manage the pain. It also helps to visit a physiotherapy clinic so the injured area can be examined further. Your physiotherapist can recommend appropriate exercises so you can recover from your injury and reduce chances of it happening again.
Visiting a Physiotherapy Clinic in Halifax for Your Sports Injury
At One to One Wellness, we are dedicated to helping our clients get back to doing what they love.
We use state-of-the-art techniques and procedures not only to treat the injury site but also to help strengthen other parts of your body.
If you are leading an active lifestyle, visit our physiotherapy clinic in Halifax. You can avoid sports injuries without the need for medications.
Copyright © 2020 One To One Wellness and H cube Marketing | All Rights Reserved | Powered by Hcube Marketing